Many measures in this section use American Community Survey (ACS) 2014-2018 5-year averages (and, where there is a longitudinal comparison, the “previous” value is the 2009-2013 5-year average). They also appear in the Kids Counts data center, where you can find detailed citations to the specific ACS tables used in the data center and in this website.
- Child poverty (the data by race are from ACS tables B17001A-I)
- Children under 5 in poverty
- Child poverty by family structure
- All age poverty by race
- Median family income by race
- Median family income for children with families
- Children in high -poverty communities
- High housing cost burden
Of the remaining Economic Justice measures, the sources are as follows:
- Unemployment rates by race are from the DC Department of Employment Services (DOES) annual reports from FY2019 and 2015 (covering 2014 data).
- Youth unemployment rates are from U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Expanded State Employment Status Demographic Data. The data pulled are specifically about the civilian workforce, though that
is not specified in the body of this report.
- TANF enrollment numbers were provided by DC’s Department of Human Services.
- The count of homeless children is the “literally homeless” children number from the Metropolitan Washington Council of Government’s annual Homelessness in Metropolitan Washington: Results and Analysis from the Annual Point-in-Time (PIT) Count of Homeless Persons report.
- The count of homeless students in 2018-19 is from the Office of the State Superintendent’s Homeless Education Program Statistics & Reports annual count available at https://osse.dc.gov/page/homeless-education-program-statistics-reports. The 2013-14 number is from the National Center for Homeless Education’s Federal Data Summary .
- All Youth Counts data points are from the annual presentation (and accompanying data set) shared by The Community Partnership.
- The data on the number and race of children in foster care in 2019 pull from the Children and Family Services Agency’s data dashboard. The “previous” 2014 number was provided by CFSA.