All DC-wide population counts in this section use American Community Survey (ACS) 2019 1-year estimates, while all racial demographics in this section and all population/demographic measures in the ward snapshots use the 2015-2019 5-year averages, so the population counts will differ slightly between the two portions of the site. Where there is a reference to change over time that does not specify a time range, the “previous” value is from 5 years prior. Regarding sources for specific measures, the following measures also appear in the Kids Counts data center, where you can find detailed citations to the specific ACS tables used in the data center and in this website:
- Population of children
- Population of youth ages 18-24
- Race of children. Note that individuals who are Black and Latinx may be counted in both groups, and similarly for those who are multiracial and Latinx, Asian and Latinx, or “other race” and Latinx. In addition, “other” includes both people identified as such by the Census as well as the 0.2% of DC residents who identified as Native American.
- Population and race of children under 5
The following measures are not in the Kids Count data center, and are from ACS tables as noted below.
- Population of children under 3 – table B09001
- Race of youth ages 18-24 – tables B01001-A through B01001-I
- Percentage of children with at least one parent born abroad – table B05009